Are lupine getting left behind by other light makers?

General discussions around Lupine

Moderatoren: Wolf, Stefan

phantomx0_1
sucht Erleuchtung
sucht Erleuchtung

Are lupine getting left behind by other light makers?

Beitragvon phantomx0_1 » 18.11.2012, 20:15

So I have a Lupine betty 7 and a piko. I love my lights and wouldn't be without them. :D

Now its the time of year for light reviews and the lupines never win! Normally due to pricing and reliablity issues. :oops:

My betty which I bought new in 2008 had to be replaced under warranty buy the shop two months after buying it and It has been back to Lupine for repair as well. (excellent service buy the way!) :D I have also upgraded it to make it more powerful.

So will lupines prices come in line with other developers? Lupine were streets ahead a few years back but now there is so much choice out there personally I think they are be loosing some ground.....! Look at the new exposure reflex. A 2200 lumen self contained unit with some very new speed control technology. Also dare I say it the new magicshine 880 which has won pretty much every bike mag review in the uk (MBR, what mountain bike and MBUK) at £170 for 2000 lumens (although its probably more like 1600 as they are not tested. A friemd rides with one and I have to say its an awesome bit of kit for what he paid!

The new betty R looks quality but at £770 I think if I had to replace my light I would be goind elsewhere!

pioneer_56
beleuchtet
beleuchtet
(Lampen-)Ausstattung: Betty II 26 Watt XM-L2 / Betty II 24 Watt XPG / Wilma 17 Watt XM-L2 / Wilma 15 Watt Classic XM-L2
Re: Are lupine getting left behind by other light makers?

Beitragvon pioneer_56 » 21.11.2012, 07:36

Left behind, no. But everyone else is catching up. Lupine lights will always command a premium over cheap china lights and others with less options. As far as lumen ratings go, if other lights are tested in the same manner that Lupine proves their output then they are just false advertising about their light systems.
Betty II 26W 3000 lumen Cree XM-L2/ Betty II 24W 2700 lumen Cree XM-L2/ Wilma 2100 lumen Cree XM-L2 / Wilma "Classic" 1800 lumen Cree XM-L2
9600 lumens of fun!

Arsène Lupine
beleuchtet
beleuchtet

Beitragvon Arsène Lupine » 22.11.2012, 17:19

phantomx0_1 hat geschrieben:Now its the time of year for light reviews and the lupines never win! Normally due to pricing and reliablity issues. :oops:

Personally I highly doubt Lupine has some "general" reliability issues. It may happen, but I guess the percentage of premature failures certainly is less than that of other brands, specially all those cheap china lights. I also had some issues myself indeed, but Lupine repaired the stuff, they have indeed a very good service policy, even in questionable cases and beyond the warranty limits. I am not so sure if you can get (any?) service in case of issues by these chinese competitors.
Second, I indeed think their batteries are somewhat superior compared to the competition. I've read in some examples about the batteries of magicshines, people stating that "they lasted 2 years for me" ... I mean please, what kind of quality is this? I've had a (nominal) 4.5Ah battery of Lupine, 4 years after purchase and use it still had measured 5.1Ah(!) capacity. In the long run, you can indeed profit.

phantomx0_1 hat geschrieben:So will lupines prices come in line with other developers? Lupine were streets ahead a few years back but now there is so much choice out there personally I think they are be loosing some ground.....!

I would say, the other developers try to come in line with Lupine. :mrgreen:. Except for the price of course. 10 years ago there was not much competition. As for loosing ground, I have my doubts.
I think the "usual" Lupine customers have not changed. I the past, without the cheap options, some people with potential interest for bikelights just didn't buy Lupine because it was too expensive in their eyes. In the meanwhile, that people that wouldn't have bought Lupine anyway, they now buy some Magicshine or similar, it is just the market that has grown bigger. I think a good share of the former customers of Lupine (my guess is they always have been a minority among the users of bikelights) still is willing to buy a Lupine again, they do not change to the opposite camp.

regards

Rotor
sucht Erleuchtung
sucht Erleuchtung

Beitragvon Rotor » 22.02.2013, 15:02

I have a question and maybe this thread is appropriate for it.
Does the Lupine have plans to develop lamp with new design - whit two beams reflectors, one for flooding ambient light for low distance and one high focused for long distance. May be this is not appropriate for the bike usage, but there are many sports which need this functionality from.
There are many producers that successfully use this idea, but in their products missing Lupine class.

Regards

Zurück zu „General“